Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Flight from London to Colombo, Sri Lanka


And so it begins. The Asia adventure is underway and I’ve got two flights under my belt; one in progress, and two more to go. Of course there had to be complications early on in the trip and I experienced major difficulty with my ticket from Chicago to London, which completely freaked me out early on. Sound slightly reminiscent of Haiti? Apparently the travel agency did not correctly link my reservation and my ticket (though they did everybody else’s…), which resulted in me having to get on and off the plane, speak to the hard to understand travel agent multiple times, and try to explain to the airline what had occurred, though I really had no idea what was going on. All is well now though since we have switched from United to Sri Lankan airways; I am, however, slightly concerned about my trip back home. Hopefully though I can get everything sorted out with the travel agency before that occurs.

I’m already getting to know everyone on the trip a bit better. Our assistant director, Sanjeewani, who is from Sri Lanka, but is currently studying at Ball State, is returning to Sri Lanka for the first time in one and a half years to see her husband and family- which seems amazing to me.

Once we arrive in Sri Lanka, we will have one day to recoup and shower before heading to India- I am definitely looking forward to this. We will also meet up with Nihal there.

The flight from London to Colombo has been fairly comfortable, at least much more than the previous flight. It might have helped though that I wasn’t all frazzled before getting on this plane. Everything is free on the flight- including alcohol! I’ve never experienced such a thing. All I had though was wine with dinner. At least I think that meal was dinner… This whole losing twelve hours thing is rather confusing to the stomach. I am hungry now though ha.

Now I need to read for classes before we arrive in Colombo in about 3 hours. The plane ride is 10.5 hours, and the one from Chicago to London is 8 hours. All I can say though is that I’m sooo glad I’m flying to Sri Lanka right now and not in Muncie!

P.s. Noise cancelling head phones- greatest things ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment