Monday, January 17, 2011

CEPT University

Mural on a wall at CEPT
India requires patience. “Informality is the strength of this program” according to the dean of climate change and sustainable design at CEPT Univeristy, which essentially means, “we’re not organized, and we like it that way.” I am sort of enjoying the long gaps of time that seem to appear when we’re waiting to meet someone, or the unavoidable festival that pops up and changes plans.

Yesterday was interesting- spent the day in bed with diarrhea from some unknown food or drink. However though after two liters of 7up, half a loaf of bread, 24 hours of sleep, and the Cipro pills I brought with me, I am back up and out, running at about 85% today. –Thank goodness! Could I even be ready to eat Indian food again? Perhaps?


Outside of CEPT
We have just arrived at CEPT, and it is beautiful here. It is also great to see so many Indian students with common interests and educational pursuits. So far, CEPT has provided my favorite functional and social spaces- and I still have yet to even step inside the buildings! The canteen is the social center of the campus- everything seems to revolve around conversations held over lunch or tea. I would also probably go so far as to say that the campus at CEPT is the most integrated combination of building and landscape that I have ever experienced. It contrasts greatly with the haphazard development that comprises most of the Old City, where we’re staying.

Sweet spiral staircase at the university
I am not sure how I feel about the tea- which is ALL chai- just yet. They load it up with milk and sugar to the point that it is a latte on steroids- not really how I like my tea, but I’ll deal with it. I really liked the Ceylon tea that they served on the Sri Lankan airlines- sugar and cream on the side!

I’m not sure how I feel about the Chharanagar project just yet. It’s not something that I really know how to wrap my head around yet, which I suppose is precisely the reason why we’re looking at it.


3:15
At the canteen
I think I just successfully ate my first Indian meal after yesterday’s episode! Still not a huge fan of Indian food though. Tandoori Butter Chicken sounds pretty mild on the menu definitely not the case.

A different kind of art near the canteen
The bathrooms here are something else that takes some serious getting used to. Thank goodness we have clean, western toilets at the house. Let’s just say that I’m going to be very good at squatting by the end of this trip. Not to mention the Indian toilet paper substitute- water- that shoots out from the back of the toilet. I thought I was flushing it, but I actually ended up spraying myself with the unusually strong stream of water from the rear of the toilet seat. Yuck.





Another surprise at CEPT: a dog that looks just like my own! I call him "Scooby's Indian Brother." :)





1 comment: